A total of 181 people who have come into contact with four of the six confirmed patients of the novel Coronavirus disease in Ghana have so far been traced by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) in collaboration with other state agencies.
Ghana has so far confirmed six cases of Coronavirus disease [COVID-19] as of March 14, 2020, in two [Ashanti and Greater Accra] regions.
Contacts to two of the confirmed cases, which was confirmed Saturday night are however yet to be traced.
Speaking at a media briefing in Accra on Sunday, March 15, 2020, the Director of Public Health at the GHS, Dr. Badu Sarkodie, said all those traced had been advised to do self-quarantine.
He explained that the number traced were in relation to the first four confirmed cases, explaining that processes were ongoing to identify all persons who might have come into contact with the confirmed cases.
He said in relation to the first two cases, involving a Ghanaian and a Norwegian, 32 and 107 contacts had been traced respectively.
Dr. Sarkodie said with the third and fourth cases, involving a student and a Ghanaian who traveled to Obuasi in the Ashanti Region, a total of 12 and 30 contacts had been traced respectively.
He explained that although Ghana had opted for self-quarantine instead of compulsory state quarantine, the Ghana Health Service with its allied agencies would keep a close eye on those who had been traced.
“We are keeping a close eye on them (contacts traced),” he said, pointing out that all the patients of the six confirmed cases were in stable conditions.
He, however, warned that if any of those doing the self-quarantine refused to comply with established protocols, GHS and its collaborators would step in to ensure that the right protocols were followed.
Credit: Modern Ghana